Newcastle United only have £20 million to spend outright on an attacking recruit in the final stages of the summer transfer window, with hefty add-ons likely to be included in any deals above that amount, according to Sky Sports reporter Keith Downie.
Eddie Howe has overseen a steady start to the Premier League season at St James’ Park, following a 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest with a 0-0 draw against Brighton, but he could still strengthen further ahead of the September 1 deadline.
What is the latest transfer news from Newcastle?
Three deals have been struck by the Magpies this summer with Sven Botman, Nick Pope and Matt Targett all penning permanent deals.
The focus has now seemingly turned to bolstering their attacking options. Watford have rejected a £20 million offer for striker Joao Pedro although a second bid is set to be submitted.
Meanwhile, four Chelsea stars have been targeted too, according to The Telegraph, with Christian Pulisic, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Armando Broja and Conor Gallagher all well-liked.
The Sun have also reported that Gallagher has become Newcastle’s number one target for the remainder of the window, with Chelsea valuing the 22-year-old at £40 million.
Leicester City’s James Maddison was previously a top target too, only for two bids of up to £50 million to be rejected.
What has Downie said on Newcastle’s business?
The Sky Sports reporter understands that, if Newcastle are to sign any more players permanently this summer, they will only be able to offer a £20 million down payment.
He says that any remaining money in the deals will be made up by extra add-ons.
Downie told GIVEMESPORT: “My understanding is that they’ve probably got around about £20 million as a down payment to spend. Then if they wanted to go beyond that they could structure a deal with add-ons. I think with the Maddison deal, I can’t remember the exact amount that they were putting down, but it was something roundabout £20 million and then it was structured up to about £45 million.”
Do Newcastle need new recruits before the deadline?
Added attacking reinforcements certainly would not go amiss at St James’ Park. Howe has done a great job of shoring up the defence and midfield but there remains a lack of cutting edge in attack.
In the clash with Brighton, Newcastle failed to create a single big chance, and mustered just four shots on goal compared to the Seagulls’ 13 attempts, as per FOTMOB.
Callum Wilson has shown he can be a deadly finisher for the club, scoring 21 times in 48 games, but he needs better service.
Given his previous injury record, some serious competition and support for Wilson should also be targeted.