Tottenham: Paratici has "looked at" £43m star at Hotspur Way

Tottenham Hotspur head coach Antonio Conte watches on

Tottenham Hotspur have looked at the possibility of signing Villarreal centre-back Pau Torres but the Spaniard is unlikely to make the move to Hotspur Way, according to Daily Express reporter Ryan Taylor.

Antonio Conte has overseen a busy few months of business in north London, as he looks to stamp his authority on the first-team squad, but the Italian can still add more stars before the September 1 deadline.

What is the latest Tottenham transfer news?

The Athletic have reported that Manchester United are willing to part with 21-year-old midfield prodigy James Garner this summer, with Spurs one of the clubs to look at the former Nottingham Forest loanee.

This week saw Udinese left-back Destiny Udogie become the club’s seventh signing of the summer after a £15 million fee was agreed for the 19-year-old, who will be sent back to the Serie A side for the coming season.

Udogie joins the likes of Ivan Perisic, Yves Bissouma, Djed Spence and Richarlison in making the move to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium this summer with over £100 million now being splashed on new recruits.

Charlie Eccleshare of The Athletic has previously told GiveMeSport that Tottenham would ideally like to add another centre-back to their ranks this summer while Conte is understood to want more creativity in his midfield.

What has Taylor said on the club’s plans?

Taylor has echoed the words of Eccleshare and claimed that Tottenham could move for a big-name centre-back in the future.

However, he says that such a move is unlikely to happen before the deadline next month despite previously looking at a big-name star.

Taylor told GIVEMESPORT: “I still think Tottenham might go big on a centre-back, not in this window but windows to come. At the moment there isn’t really anyone out there that stands out. I know they’ve looked at Pau Torres but they would have done that deal by now if they wanted to.”

1 of 8
Mounir El Hamdaoui - Tottenham

Do you know this obscure player Tottenham signed in the January transfer window?

Do Spurs need a new centre-back this summer?

With Clement Lenglet arriving on a season-long loan from Barcelona, it is unlikely to be a top priority as things stand.

Torres reportedly has a release clause of £42 million and it seems unlikely that Fabio Paratici would spend such a large fee at this stage of the window.

The priority in north London likely remains off-loading some of their highest earners who are not in Conte’s plans for the season.

These include Tanguy Ndombele, Sergio Reguillon and Harry Winks, who were among the stars left out of their pre-season trip to South Korea.

News Now - Sport News