Tottenham: Conte will make 'big decision' on £192k-a-week star vs Leicester

Tottenham Hotspur head coach Antonio Conte reacts

Tottenham Hotspur head coach Antonio Conte’s ‘biggest decision’ ahead of facing Leicester City is whether to drop Heung-min Son from his starting line-up, according to journalist Dean Jones.

Spurs will welcome the bottom-of-the-table Foxes to north London on Saturday and could move to the top of the Premier League standings, but Conte may make a change to his attacking trio.

GiveMeSport The Verdict
GiveMeSport The Verdict

What’s the latest news involving Son?

Son came into the campaign in red-hot form having shared the Premier League’s Golden Boot with Liverpool star Mohamed Salah thanks to finding the back of the net 23 times in the competition during the 2021/22 season.

However, the winger has struggled to rediscover his best form and is still searching for his first goal despite starting all eight of Tottenham’s fixtures since the new term got underway last month.

Conte has revealed that Son, 30, could be dropped due to the need to rotate his squad, particularly in the attacking third of the pitch.

Richarlison made the move to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium during the summer, after a £60million fee was agreed with Everton, and the Brazilian has put even more pressure on Spurs’ stars to produce the goods.

Son, who has entered the final three years of his £192,000-per-week contract, has been on Spurs’ books since joining from Bayer Leverkusen for £22million seven years ago.

What has Dean Jones said about Son?

Jones believes Conte has a huge call to make as to whether Son should remain in his starting line-up when Leicester make the trip to the capital on Saturday.

The journalist has doubts over whether Spurs will be at their fluid best if the 104-cap South Korea international is overlooked.

Jones told GIVEMESPORT: “It feels like the biggest decision he’s got to make for this weekend, certainly, and perhaps going forward too.

“Son has been such a key factor for why this Tottenham team has been able to function the way they have.

“If you start leaving him on the bench, I’m not sure that the team is going to flow as they have done in the past.”

1 of 10
The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

What year did the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium open?

Who would replace Son in the starting line-up if he is dropped?

Dejan Kulusevski, who could set Spurs back £37.5million if they opt to make his loan move permanent at the end of the season, would be in line to earn a recall to Conte’s first XI if Son is named among the substitutes.

The 22-year-old made a promising start to the season by finding the back of the net once and laying on two assists for his team-mates, but he has been forced to contend with cameo appearances from the bench in Spurs’ last three fixtures against Fulham, Marseille and Sporting.

Kulusevski would complete an attacking trio which already includes Harry Kane, who has scored five goals this term, and Richarlison.

News Now - Sport News