In the latter stages of the team’s Champions League group stage match against his former club Borussia Dortmund, the Norwegian striker scored an acrobatic stunner to secure a 2-1 victory.
Haaland’s display of athleticism to convert Joao Cancelo’s cross first-time was quite simply outrageous and yet more proof that he is already among the very best in the business at age 21.
The Ballon d’Or winner in the making now has 26 Champions League goals to his name, which is one more than Robin van Persie managed in his entire career.
Haaland is just a freak of nature when it comes to goalscoring and at this moment in time, he is the player with the best goals-per-game ratio in the history of the European Cup – and by a considerable distance as well.
Below, we’ve detailed the 30 players among the 50 leading scorers in European Cup history with the best goals-per-game ratios.
The 30 best goals-per-game ratios in European Cup history
29. Jose Augusto (Benfica) | 24 goals | 0.43 goals-per-game
28. Thierry Henry (AS Monaco, Arsenal, Barcelona) | 50 goals | 0.45 goals-per-game
27. Alessandro Del Piero (Juventus) | 42 goals | 0.47 goals-per-game
26. Roy Makaay (Deportivo La Coruna, Bayern Munich) | 29 goals | 0.48 goals-per-game
25. Didier Drogba (Marseille, Chelsea, Galatasaray) | 44 goals | 0.48 goals-per-game
24. Andriy Shevchenko (Dynamo Kyiv, AC Milan, Chelsea) | 48 goals | 0.48 goals-per-game
23. David Trezeguet (AS Monaco, Juventus) | 29 goals | 0.50 goals-per-game
22. Raul Gonzalez (Real Madrid, Schalke) | 71 goals | 0.50 goals-per-game
21. Edinson Cavani (Napoli, Paris Saint-Germain) | 35 goals | 0.51 goals-per-game
20. Mohamed Salah (Basel, AS Roma, Liverpool) | 37 goals | 0.51 goals-per-game
19. Marco Simone (AC Milan, Paris Saint-Germain, AS Monaco) | 24 goals | 0.52 goals-per-game
18. Sergio Aguero (Atletico Madrid, Manchester City) | 41 goals | 0.52 goals-per-game
17. Mario Jardel (FC Porto, Galatasaray) | 25 goals | 0.54 goals-per-game
16. Neymar (Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain) | 42 goals | 0.55 goals-per-game
15. Filippo Inzaghi (Juventus, AC Milan) | 46 goals | 0.57 goals-per-game
14. Mario Gomez (VfB Stuttgart, Bayern Munich) | 26 goals | 0.59 goals-per-game
13. Karim Benzema (Lyon, Real Madrid) | 86 goals | 0.60 goals-per-game
12. Kylian Mbappe (AS Monaco, Paris Saint-Germain) | 36 goals | 0.65 goals-per-game
11. Eusebio (Benfica) | 46 goals | 0.71 goals-per-game
10. Jean-Pierre Papin (Marseille, AC Milan, Bayern Munich) | 28 goals | 0.76 goals-per-game
9. Ruud van Nistelrooy (PSV Eindhoven, Manchester United, Real Madrid) | 56 goals | 0.77 goals-per-game
8. Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus) | 140 goals | 0.77 goals-per-game
7. Lionel Messi (Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain) | 126 goals | 0.80 goals-per-game
6. Robert Lewandowski (Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, Barcelona) | 89 goals | 0.82 goals-per-game
5. Alfredo Di Stefano (Real Madrid) | 49 goals | 0.84 goals-per-game
4. Jose Altafini (AC Milan, Juventus) | 24 goals | 0.86 goals-per-game
3. Ferenc Puskas (Budapest Honved, Real Madrid) | 36 goals | 0.88 goals-per-game
2. Gerd Muller (Bayern Munich) | 34 goals | 0.97 goals-per-game
- Erling Haaland (Borussia Dortmund, Manchester City) | 26 goals | 1.24 goals-per-game
Haaland is an absolute joke.
Of course, it’s very unlikely he’ll be able to maintain that strike rate throughout the course of his career, but what’s almost certain is that Haaland will go down as a Champions League legend.
Especially if he leads City to their first ever title in his debut season…