Tottenham Hotspur star Hugo Lloris’ injury setback has come as a huge blow at Hotspur Way and Antonio Conte will be hoping to have the goalkeeper back to full fitness ‘as soon as possible’, according to journalist Paul Brown.
Spurs have enjoyed a positive start to the season and currently sit just one point adrift of arch-rivals Arsenal, who sit at the top of the Premier League, but there are fears that they will be without their first choice shot-stopper for the coming weeks.
What’s the latest news involving Lloris?
Lloris has been a mainstay in the Tottenham side since the season got underway, failing to miss a single minute, and he would have been hoping to add to his 139 France caps during the current international break.
However, the 35-year-old has been forced to withdraw from his country’s squad and will miss the Nations League clashes with Austria and Denmark due to suffering a thigh injury.
Having left the French camp in Clairefontaine and returned to Hotspur Way, Lloris – who has been on Spurs’ books for more than a decade since sealing an £11.8million switch from Lyon – is set to step up his recovery.
But there are fears that he will miss the first north London derby of the season, which is due to take place at the Emirates Stadium on October 1, thanks to the thigh problem.
What has Paul Brown said about Lloris?
Brown understands that Tottenham are preparing for a jam-packed period after the international break, meaning Lloris’ setback will be of concern.
The journalist believes Conte will be desperate for the Frenchman to make a speedy recovery, particularly with an eagerly-anticipated north London derby on the horizon.
Brown told GIVEMESPORT: “We’re coming into a very busy schedule and Lloris is a big, big part of that team.
“There was some speculation about his future not too long ago, which has since gone away.
“I think, in terms of his leadership and reliability, he’s a big, big part of Spurs. They will want him fit and back as soon as possible.”
Who would replace Lloris between the sticks if he is unavailable against Arsenal?
Should Lloris fail to recover ahead of the trip to the Emirates Stadium early next month, Fraser Forster would be in line to make his Tottenham debut, having been an unused substitute in every fixture so far this season.
The 34-year-old made the move to north London as a free agent after his contract with Southampton expired during the summer.
Although he has not made a Spurs appearance so far, he offers plenty of Premier League experience thanks to enjoying 134 outings in the competition.