Christian Horner angry about recent budget cap speculation

christian horner at the dutch grand prix

Christian Horner has revealed his anger at some of the speculation that has come out around the 2021 budget cap and alleged breaches.

Formula 1 is back in Singapore this weekend but some of the early headlines have concerned off-track matters, with reports in Italy and Germany suggesting that two teams breached the budget cap for 2021, with one by a considerable amount.

Those reports went on to claim that Red Bull and Aston Martin were the teams in question, but it must be said, as yet, nothing is confirmed or official.

Indeed, we won’t know which, if any, of the teams have gone over the cap until next week when the FIA reveals the full reports into each team’s finances and spending from the 2021 campaign, but that has not stopped the speculation rumbling and comments from other teams on the matter.

Horner, then, was clearly frustrated with what had been levelled at his team, with him telling Sky on Friday that he was of the opinion they’d been under the cap for 2021, before then saying on Saturday that other teams who have weighed in on the story, “shouldn’t throw stones in glass houses.”

Christian Horner
NORTHAMPTON, ENGLAND – JULY 03: Red Bull Racing Team Principal Christian Horner looks on in the garage prior to the F1 Grand Prix of Great Britain at Silverstone on July 03, 2022 in Northampton, England. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)

Horner also said that some teams were “bang out of order” for their comments, and so it’s clear the reports getting published next week cannot happen soon enough so we can establish the full facts.

“We were a little bit taken aback by comments that were coming from two of our rival teams yesterday,” said the Red Bull team boss.

“The submission between the team and the FIA is one that is confidential. I have no idea what the outcome of our rivals’ submissions are, or the accounting treatment or so on. 

“So I would be intrigued to know where their source of information for these fictitious claims have come from. They are hugely defamatory and we take umbrage to them.”

The story was always going to gain traction and interest given the alleged involvement of Red Bull but ultimately nothing has been proven either way, and we’ll only get that once the FIA publishes their reports next week.

VIDEO: CHRISTIAN HORNER BACKS RED BULL OVER BUDGET CAP SUBMISSION

News Now - Sport News