As we showed you recently, Chelsea have had no qualms about selling talented players in recent years.
However, not every decision has turned out to the be the correct one - step forward Kevin De Bruyne - and, after events this week, there will likely be plenty of Chelsea fans fearing their club may have let another future star slip through their grasp in the form of Thorgan Hazard.
The younger brother of current Blues star Eden left Chelsea for Borussia Mönchengladbach in 2015, and has gone on to impress in Germany. His goal against Barcelona on Wednesday the latest example of his talent.
Those Chelsea fans ruing their club's decision to sell have been given hope in recent days, though, by reports claiming the Stamford Bridge outfit inserted a buy-back clause into Hazard's deal that means they can re-sign the winger for £13 million before the end of the year.
With the 23-year-old having racked up seven goals in just nine appearances this season, that certainly looked like a very wise move.
Unfortunately, the truth behind the Belgium international's move to Gladbach might not be quite as rosy as Chelsea fans have been led to believe. At least not according to the Bundesliga club's sporting director Max Eberl.
Speaking to German publication 'Express', Eberl acknowledged his club's good working relationship with Chelsea but denied there is any such clause in Hazard's contract.
"There is no clause. There is also no end of anything," he said in translated quotes.
"I want to comment also no contractual content. But we also need to make no secrets from it: If we get a top player from Chelsea, then Chelsea has, of course, again and again the possibility in any form whatsoever, to think about this player - but actually not active!"
Reuniting the Hazard brothers in west London - if that is Chelsea's aim - might not be quite as simple as first thought, then. Although, Eberl's comments do seem to leave the door open for some form of unwritten agreement.
Eberl's comments contradict claims made by German newspaper Bild last week, and they would suggest that Antonio Conte and co. would have to start negotiations on Hazard from the very beginning.
Considering the player's form so far this season, you'd think the price for any such deal would be considerably higher than the £13 million figure quoted in the buy-back clause reports.
With those reports stating that there was a December 31 deadline for any transfer, at least there is only a few months of uncertainty before we know who is telling the truth.
Hazard, for his part, seems fully focussed on performing for Mönchengladbach.
"I've signed a long-term deal and I am only focused on Borussia," he told Bild, via the Daily Mail.
"I feel good here, and am currently not thinking about any other club."
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms