Yaya Toure has endured a spectacular fall from grace during the past 12 months.
It was not long ago that the Ivorian was the first name on the team sheet and a virtually indispensable asset to Manchester City.
But since the arrival of Pep Guardiola, Toure has become a victim of the revolution taking place at the Etihad.
SUBMIT AN ARTICLE
Apply to become a GMS writer by signing up and submitting a 250-word test article: https://gms.to/haveyoursay5
The former Barcelona midfielder – who previously worked under the Spaniard at the Nou Camp – has been frozen out of first-team action under Guardiola this season, making just one appearance in all competitions.
Naturally, his agent – Dimitri Seluk – has had plenty of harsh words to say about the City boss following his treatment of the 33-year-old veteran.
The Citizens beat West From 4-0 at the weekend to snap a six-game winless streak but face a daunting trip to Barcelona on Tuesday – a fixture Toure is ineligible to play in due to being axed from the Champions League squad.
City are currently four points off the pace behind Barcelona in Group C, which has prompted Seluk to wonder how they would have fared if his client was afforded the chance to contribute.
“Everyone has seen what happened, so I don’t need to speak,” he said, as per the Sun.
“Yaya is not playing in European matches so we will see without him what the result will be again.
“Pep can do what he wants — I don’t care. The only pity is Yaya isn’t playing and the results have not been good.
“If he wins the Champions League, I will come on Sky Sports and talk for one hour about Pep Guardiola.
“If not, he must apologise with his heart.”
Guardiola is showing no signs of overturning his decision to exile Toure from his first-team plans until Seluk says sorry for publicly criticising him.
The prospect of that happening is unlikely at best, especially given the ex-Monaco star is free to discuss signing a pre-contract agreement with clubs when he enters the final six months of his City deal.