Iker Casillas Profile
Iker Casillas is one of the best goalkeepers of all time, mainly known for his time with Real Madrid and Spain.
Casillas played 725 times for Real Madrid and 167 times for Spain, during which he won multiple international trophies and domestic trophies.
Born in Madrid on May 20, 1981, Casillas began his career with the Real Madrid C team in 1998. He was soon promoted to the club’s first team, with his spectacular agility and handling helping him to quickly become their number one goalkeeper. He went on to win five La Liga titles, two Copa del Rey titles and three Champions League titles, most of which as team captain.
Casillas is one of the most respected and influential goalkeepers of all time. He was influential in Spain’s stunning undefeated tournament run, where they won the 2008 European Championship, the 2010 World Cup and the 2012 European Championship consecutively.
Casillas’ reputation saw him nominated for numerous awards and Team of the Year trophies. He came fourth in the 2008 Ballon d’Or awards and was voted in the UEFA Team of the Year six consecutive times.
The Spaniard signed for Portuguese outfit Porto in 2015. While with the club, he broke the Champions League record for the most clean sheets in the competition, keeping his 51st clean sheet in 2015. After a severe heart attack put his career at risk, Casillas returned to training with Porto in July 2019.
Latest Iker Casillas Stories
- Iker Casillas' greatest save? Real Madrid icon's heroic stop vs Sevilla in 2009
- Iker Casillas' greatest XI features two Man Utd legends
- Buffon, Neuer, Cech: Goalkeepers with the most penalty saves in the 21st century
- Casillas, Buffon, Neuer: Who has the most international clean sheets?
- Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zidane: Fans rank the 25 best players of the 2000s
- Ronaldo, Messi, Bellingham: The 14 most incredible football records broken in 2021