Vasyl Lomachenko Profile
Vasyl Anatoliyovych Lomachenko is a professional boxer that competes in the Lightweight division. He is a former world champion in three different weight categories and is one of the most successful amateur boxers in history, with an astonishing record of 396-1-0.
Born in Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi, Ukraine on 17th February 1988, Lomachenko is a double Olympic champion after picking up gold medals at both Beijing in the Featherweight class and London in the Lightweight category four years later. He is also a two-time world champion, European champion and a junior world champion at flyweight.
After his extraordinary success at amateur level, Lomachenko made the decision to turn professional after the 2012 Olympics and signed a contract to fight under the Top Rank promotional banner. He made his debut against Jose Ramirez in 2013 and knocked the Mexican out in four rounds.
Amazingly, Lomachenko was deemed worthy enough to compete in his first world title match in what was just his second fight, after Orlando Salido was forced to vacate the WBO Featherweight title after failing to make weight. But Lomachenko faced off against the former champion in what proved to be a controversial split decision defeat for the Ukrainian. In his very next fight, he would win the title via majority decision at the expense of Gary Russell Jr just three months later.
Lomachenko would go on to win the WBO junior, WBA (Super), The Ring, WBO and WBC lightweight titles, beating well-respected fighters along the way such as Luke Campbell, Anthony Crolla, Jose Pedraza and Jorge Linares - all in the space of 15 professional fights. However, he would go on to lose his titles in his last fight against Teofimo Lopez via unanimous decision in October 2020.
Away from the squared circle, Lomachenko is married to Elena and they have two children together. He lives in Camarillo, California and trains nearby in Oxnard just north of Los Angeles.
14-2-0; 10 wins by KO
Vasyl Lomachenko vs Teofimo Lopez
Loss via unanimous decision - MGM Grand Conference Center, Nevada, 17th October 2020
Vasyl Lomachenko vs Luke Campbell
Win via unanimous decision - The O2 Arena, London, 31st August 2019
Vasyl Lomachenko vs Anthony Crolla
Win by KO - Staples Center, Los Angeles, 12th April 2019
Vasyl Lomachenko vs Jose Pedraza
Win via unanimous decision - Hulu Theater, New York City, 8th December 2018
Vasyl Lomachenko vs Jorge Linares
Win via TKO - Madison Square Garden, New York City, 12th May 2018
Vasyl Lomachenko vs Guillermo Rigondeaux
Win via retirement - Madison Square Garden, New York City, 9th December 2017
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic scores minutes after coming onto the pitch after 4-month absence
- Harvey Elliott: Liverpool youngster's classy gesture to fan in hospital after injury vs Leeds
- Harvey Elliott: Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp was visibly emotional when giving injury update
- Harvey Elliott Injury: Man Utd's Marcus Rashford sends classy to Liverpool star
Latest Vasyl Lomachenko Stories
- Fury, Canelo, Golovkin, Crawford, Lomachenko: Greatest active boxer in every weight class
- Hafthor 'The Mountain' Bjornsson punches Teofimo Lopez in Body Shot Challenge
- Fury, Wilder, Canelo, Usyk, Joshua: Who is the best P4P boxer in the world right now?
- Vasyl Lomachenko to face Richard Commey at iconic Madison Square Garden on December 11
- Teofimo Lopez next fight: The Takeover sees 'no point' in Vasyl Lomachenko rematch
- Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk: Tony Bellew issues warning to AJ