Vasyl Lomachenko Profile
Vasyl Anatoliyovych Lomachenko is a professional boxer that competes in the Lightweight division. He is a former world champion in three different weight categories and is one of the most successful amateur boxers in history, with an astonishing record of 396-1-0.
Born in Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi, Ukraine on 17th February 1988, Lomachenko is a double Olympic champion after picking up gold medals at both Beijing in the Featherweight class and London in the Lightweight category four years later. He is also a two-time world champion, European champion and a junior world champion at flyweight.
After his extraordinary success at amateur level, Lomachenko made the decision to turn professional after the 2012 Olympics and signed a contract to fight under the Top Rank promotional banner. He made his debut against Jose Ramirez in 2013 and knocked the Mexican out in four rounds.
Amazingly, Lomachenko was deemed worthy enough to compete in his first world title match in what was just his second fight, after Orlando Salido was forced to vacate the WBO Featherweight title after failing to make weight. But Lomachenko faced off against the former champion in what proved to be a controversial split decision defeat for the Ukrainian. In his very next fight, he would win the title via majority decision at the expense of Gary Russell Jr just three months later.
Lomachenko would go on to win the WBO junior, WBA (Super), The Ring, WBO and WBC lightweight titles, beating well-respected fighters along the way such as Luke Campbell, Anthony Crolla, Jose Pedraza and Jorge Linares – all in the space of 15 professional fights. However, he would go on to lose his titles in his last fight against Teofimo Lopez via unanimous decision in October 2020.
Away from the squared circle, Lomachenko is married to Elena and they have two children together. He lives in Camarillo, California and trains nearby in Oxnard just north of Los Angeles.
14-2-0; 10 wins by KO
Vasyl Lomachenko vs Teofimo Lopez
Loss via unanimous decision – MGM Grand Conference Center, Nevada, 17th October 2020
Vasyl Lomachenko vs Luke Campbell
Win via unanimous decision – The O2 Arena, London, 31st August 2019
Vasyl Lomachenko vs Anthony Crolla
Win by KO – Staples Center, Los Angeles, 12th April 2019
Vasyl Lomachenko vs Jose Pedraza
Win via unanimous decision – Hulu Theater, New York City, 8th December 2018
Vasyl Lomachenko vs Jorge Linares
Win via TKO – Madison Square Garden, New York City, 12th May 2018
Vasyl Lomachenko vs Guillermo Rigondeaux
Win via retirement – Madison Square Garden, New York City, 9th December 2017
- Anthony Joshua real name? AJ clears up confusion after Dillian Whyte 'fake' claims
- Floyd Mayweather v Don Moore: "Money's" mid-fight chat with commentators goes viral
- Floyd Mayweather knocked down Don Moore with his punching power in exhibition fight
- Jake Paul next fight: Problem Child is actually seriously stacked right now
- Tyson Fury vs Dillian Whyte: Body Snatcher's footwork is being destroyed in new clip
- Eddie Hearn in heated debate on live TV about banning boxing
Latest Vasyl Lomachenko Stories
- Davis, Garcia, Haney, Kambosos, Lomachenko: Ring Magazine's top 10 lightweights ranked
- George Kambosos Jr sends classy message to Vasyl Lomachenko amid Ukraine war
- Ryan Garcia insists George Kambosos Jr is NOT the best lightweight in the world
- Ukraine: Tyson Fury praises Klitschko brothers & Oleksandr Usyk
- Vasyl Lomachenko eager to face George Kambosos Jr in his own backyard of Australia
- George Kambosos Jr next fight: Australian wants Devin Haney or Vasyl Lomachenko